Sunday, December 1, 2013

Thoughts Regarding Physical Appearance/Maintenance



I thought an interesting topic to write about today would be something that’s a prevalent part of our society today.  Physical appearance, which can directly relate to self-perception and awareness of one’s self in the world, is something that is weighted a little too much in the eyes of others, in my opinion.  I want to give my thoughts on how you should view someone and what I think you can do to be healthier. 
   
Just to get this started, I’ll give a brief description of how I view myself physically.  Even though I would prefer you to already know what I look like before reading this.  I am a 6’2”, 178lb, Caucasian male who most people would describe as a conservative 8/10 and usually 9.6/10 when they’re being really honest with themselves.  Alright, so I’m kidding, but I think one part of enhancing your own physical appearance is having a strong, positive opinion about who you are and what you look like.  Someone who constantly spends a majority of their time looking at themselves in a mirror, picking out which clothes they look best in, and making unnecessary comments about someone else’s physical attributes is not someone I find particularly attractive as a person.  Someone who accepts who they are, embraces their own body, and tries to make the best out of any given situation is someone who is worth knowing in my book (or blog, I guess).

It’s a real shame that our society puts so much focus on people’s looks because that is the most superficial thing you can like about someone.  Growing up, kids are excluded and alienated because they don’t look a certain way or dress a certain way and sometimes it takes its toll on their psyche.  I think that sort of bullying kind of peters off during/after college, but physical appearance is oftentimes a factor in getting a job or succeeding at work.  Our society (or maybe just CNN) places enough emphasis on looks to report on times when celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence, Beyonce, or Emma Watson get their haircut and treat it like it is legitimate news.  You should never try to aspire to be like a celebrity in that sense, because it is almost completely unattainable and not healthy to do. 
 
There are 7 billion people on this planet and, unfortunately, not all of them are going to be physically appealing to every single human being.  That’s where you have to decide that you want to know someone more than just how they are on the outside and stop writing people off because they aren’t a certain way.  Last week, I read this article about how Pope Francis had hugged and blessed a man with severe full-body tumors (pictured below) which really backed up my belief that that’s how everyone should treat one another.  

                                   Act of kindness: Pope Francis (left) comforted Vinicio Riva, a 52-year-old Italian who had travelled to Rome for a audience in Saint Peter's Square earlier this month

Switching gears into the maintenance side of physical appearance, I want to start by saying that I believe anyone can be in good shape if they don’t have an extremely severe, exercise-induced asthma condition, have two functioning legs, and have a working understanding of what food is/does to your body when consumed in extreme portions.  However, if you don’t share these same views as me, it’s totally cool to be who you are regardless and do whatever you want.

I consider myself to be in shape and I work relatively hard to keep that opinion.  This is a fun fact about me, but one of my main life goals is to not have a gut ever (which I’m really not trying to throw out as a brag about not having a gut now) and I do try to maintain a lifestyle where I shouldn’t really have to worry about my metabolism not keeping up.  However, one thing that kind of gets to me is when people around me complain that they don’t have time to stay in shape, they don’t like going to the gym or running, or they don’t understand how I can be in such good shape with the copious amounts of food and drink I consume regularly.  

The reason why this annoys me a little is because it’s not easy to be in a shape that you can be personally happy with and it’s going to take work.  Honestly, the main reason I run or work out so much is because I actually enjoy it.  The times I don’t enjoy it are times when I feel like I’m missing out on some social activity or it’s really freezing outside.  But I enjoy doing it because I know how it benefits me and I do actually feel good doing it.  People need to want to exercise for their own personal health over how they think other people see them.  For me, I run and I don’t eat a ton of greasy pizza so that I won’t have a heart condition at age 25 and be permanently entrapped on a couch at age 50.  Having a grade A body is simply a benefit of working hard for it and it is definitely a hard thing to do.

Maybe all of these complaints get to me because I hear them mostly from college-aged kids a lot.  When you’re in college, let’s be honest, there’s a fair amount of free time that is usually dedicated to how much one drinks.  Since I’m pretty sure beer, vodka, wine, rum, and even pop aren’t supposed to be positive supplements to the body, I try to balance out the negatives with a positive run or workout the next day instead of being totally hungover and watching Hulu/Netflix for the majority of my day.  It is usually the most painful thing in the world to do but I try and see it as a just punishment for being a loud, annoyingly happy drinker.  

I kind of slid off topic for a second, but the point of that was that you have to really make time and dedicate effort to be healthy and college kids usually do have the time.  Even if that means going on a midnight run to the gym, getting off work at 5pm and pushing yourself out the door to get to your next exercise class, or lying on the floor doing ab exercises while watching a hilarious episode of Parks and Recreation.  You end up feeling better for it (if not immediately, then in the long run) and I’m guessing you’ll live a little bit longer.  

What I wanted this article to be about was not changing for other people but changing for you.  Become fit because you want to be healthy.  Eat what you want if you can be sure you won’t regret it down the road.  Balance out your time between watching hours of sports/movies/video games/web surfing and time outside.  Within the next decade, when my generation and I get past our best metabolism years, who wanted to be healthy is going to show and I promise I won’t be one of the people complaining about my middle-aged gut.  

As a closer, I feel like this article could give off an overly aggressive vibe or something demanding you to live a certain way which was not my intention.  I just couldn’t really think of a way to write which would give my true opinions and also not seem like I don’t take this topic seriously.  There’s a reason America is one of the more overweight countries of the world, and I think it’s a totally solvable problem when people have the time and prioritize accordingly.  Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment